Bronchial Asthma is a common disease affecting 10- 20% of the population. In the vast majority cases,the disease is mild and often unrecognized. There is evidence that the prevalence of asthma is increasing.
Asthma is an allergic condition, an abnormal response of the body to some substance such as pollen, mold,fur, various chemicals, fumes, odors, as well as certain foods or drugs.
Asthma means twitchy airways! These narrowed airways may lead to coughing, wheezing, chest tightness, shortness of breath.
The underlying cause of all asthmatic conditions is increased Kapha dosha in stomach.From there it moves into the lungs, trachea and bronchi. The increased Kapha blocks the natural flow of air, creating spasm in the bronchial tree and resulting in asthma and wheezing. Kapha is one of the three energies or doshas responsible for maintaining balance of overall health. Ayurvedic treatments for asthma focus on wiping out the Kapha lodged in the lungs and restoring proper breathing and digestion with herbal preparations, the right diet and other lifestyle changes. Specific herbal combinations are also supplemented to boost the body’s immunity.
Ayurveda Remedies for Asthma
- Avoid food that aggravate asthma. Common food that trigger asthma are curd, banana, sweets, milk products, sugar, black gram etc.
- Drink plenty of liquids to keep secretions loose.
- For an acute attack try steam inhalation with few drops of eucalyptus oil added to it.
- Don’t suppress the natural urges, and avoid smoking.
- Allergens and other substances which provokes the attacks of asthma are to be avoided
- Half cup of ginger tea mixed with 2-3 crushed garlic cloves could prove to be an effective remedy to release the Kapha accumulation in the airways, thereby preventing asthmatic attacks.
- Take pippali (Piper Longum) powder along with honey, make an asthma attack to subside.
- Mustard oil is a good remedy, take a spoonful with jaggery, twice a day.
- Apply Saindgavaadi thailam to the chest.
- Specific medicines like Kanakasava, Chyavanaprasha and Agasthya Rasayana are very useful in asthma as its main ingredient is amla which is the richest source of Vitamin C.
- Panchakarma is the best and the most recommended therapy for Asthma.
- Vamana Karma:n this therapy therapeutic vomiting is triggered using herbs like liquorice, sweet flag and emetic nut. This vomiting helps in eliminating the excess of Dosha present in the body through upper gastro-intestinal tract.
- Virechana Karma:In this therapy excess of Dosha is eliminated through the anal route. In Virechana therapy special paste made by the mixture of different herbs and ghee is given to patient on empty stomach that helps in bringing calm to toxins and induces toxin elimination.
- Besides Panchakarmatherapy, an Asthmatic patient is advised for some Yoga exercise as well. Yoga exercises like Sukhasana, Surya Namaskar, Matsyendrasana and Anuloma Viloma helps in improving lung ability.
- Pranayama, the inhaling and exhaling Yoga exercise also improves your lung ability and functioning.